Project managers are the people who take charge of a specific project of an IT company. A project manager makes a plan, set budgets, oversee and document all the aspects of a specific project that he is working on. The project manager plays the role of a bridge between upper management and the team tasked with the actual execution of the project. A project requires the oversight and leadership of a project manager. Project managers work in virtually all fields. The task of the ideal recruiter is to find these project managers who will look after all these.
IT project managers plan, organize, and integrate cross-functional information technology projects that are significant in scope and impact. They communicate with the Client, Stakeholders, Management staffs and most importantly with the team appropriately to succeed on respective projects.
– Developing project plans, goals, business models and revenue models; identifying resources needed.
– Developing schedules and methods for measuring results.
– Guiding and performing strategic analysis for the project.
– Organizing and managing all phases of the project to ensure on-time completion.
– Assembling and coordinating project team members; assigning individual responsibilities.
– Preparing requests for proposals and conducting all necessary meetings to facilitate the selection of project services and products.
– Planning and overseeing the preparation and dissemination of project communications.
Developing project plans, goals, business models and revenue models, identifying resources needed:
Developing project plans and fixing goals are one of the primary tasks for project managers and with these creating business models and revenue models and identifying the resources needed are also important tasks of a project manager.
Developing schedules and methods for measuring results:
Developing schedules and methods for measurement both are the works of project managers.
Guiding and performing strategic analysis for the project:
Guiding the team to work strategically and also making the strategic analyses for the project are the works of project managers.
Organizing and managing all phases of the project to ensure on-time completion:
Project Manager organizes and manages all phases of the project to ensure on-time completion.
Assembling and coordinating project team members; assigning individual responsibilities:
The manager assembles and co-ordinate with project team members and assigns individual responsibilities to get the job done.
Preparing requests for proposals and conducting all necessary meetings to facilitate the selection of project services and products:
Mangers prepare requests for proposals and also conduct all necessary meetings to facilitate the selection of project services and products.
Planning and overseeing the preparation and dissemination of project communications:
Besides planning managers also look after the preparation and dissemination of project communications.
A project manager should be able to:
– Approach a project in a specific way that will be best suitable for that particular project.
– Establish a great working relationship with the senior responsible owner
– Direct, manage and motivate the project team
– Develop and maintain an agreed project plan
– Understand and apply business care and risk management
– Tailor expert knowledge to meet specific circumstances
– Plan and manage the deployment of physical and financial resources to meet project milestones
– Build and sustain effective communications with other roles involved in the project.
As the designation of a Project Manager is so important and hard to play, similarly hiring a Project Manager is also a hard task to perform. IT recruiters generally tend to go the wrong way unknowingly to hire the best tech candidates. Needless to say, it is unfortunate that for those mistakes they cost to lose some supreme candidates. The most important part is to understand what are the qualities that a Project Manager should possess. And, only then you would be able to hire some great ones.
In the bio-data of a candidate, the first thing the recruiter should notice is the qualification of the candidate if he/she really qualifies for the post or not as posts like project managers need a certain qualification.
In the post like Project Manager, the experience is the thing that takes first priority as candidates are selected on the basis of their past working experience and how he/she reacted in challenging situations.
One of the major roles of the project manager is to handle the people working under that particular project so his past experience of team handling is very important for selecting a candidate.
A project manager has to manage and guide his team and also has to communicate with the upper management so some sort of management skill is very necessary. Hiring managers can get the idea of a candidate’s management skill from his past working experience and team handling.
Communication and Soft Skills:
Communication and Soft skills are very much needed in a project manager to address his team about the task and he also has to communicate with upper management and clients as well, so while recruiting Project Managers, a recruiting manager should check this quality properly.
All these are the steps should be followed while recruiting an IT project manager as an IT project manager looks after the whole project that is assigned to him and his team. He is the person who has the responsibility to bring out the best of his team and also to submit the project within the given time period. Thus the person, best suitable for the post needs to be in the team and he needs to take charge of the project so that it is submitted perfectly within the time frame.